My hands were busy through the day, I didn't have much time to play the little games you asked me to.I didn't have much time for you. I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook, but when you'd bring your picture book and ask me, Please to share your fun, I'd say "A little later Son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night, hear your prayers and turn out the light, then tiptoe softly to the door. I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
For life is short, and years rush past, a little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side, his precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away, there are no children's games to play. No good-night kiss, no prayers to hear. That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands once busy, now lie still. The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I might go back and do the little things you asked me to.
Author Unknown
This verse appeared in a Dear Abby column when my son was a year old. I cut it out and it has graced the front of my refrigerator for almost 13 years...Although, it is now yellowed and tattered, the verse still carries the same meaning to me as it did all those years ago. You can't imagine just how many times I have read this over the years. I am now going to try to make the edges lie flat, photocopy it, laminate it and then lovingly place it back in its place of honor. The original copy will be placed in with my son's keepsakes and I hope it brings him the same comfort it has brought me over the years.
Until Next Time,
Kim

3 comments:
That is a great verse. Thanks for shareing it. It sure got me to thinking.
I love that verse. My son is 13 now also and will turn 14 in May and my daughter 9. time really flies doesnt it?wow, I will be 40 b4 I know it too,ugh.lol. Take care,Kimberly
This is a great little poem. They truly do grow up in the blink of an eye! Thanks for sharing and God bless.
Post a Comment